December 6, 2013

Back to Gwynnett Street

Back to Gwynnett Street

How was my second time at this Williamsburg fine-dining staple?


Back in April, I wrote about Gwynnett St. I took a very neutral stance on the restaurant, leaning a little more towards being hyper critical. I had a chance to go back this past week, and then re-read my post. Many of the things I was critical on had been addressed… I’m sure it had nothing to do with my post. I went back with a more open mind; I always try something twice before I make a firm decision. It’s only fair.

Right off the bat, there was a hostess station. Our hostess greeted us immediately, asked if we could patiently wait for a moment, and then took us to our seats within a minute of walking through the door. This was vastly improved from my last meal. We didn’t do the tasting menu, instead opting towards sharing two appetizers, each getting an entree, and sharing a dessert. The whiskey bread was still amazing. The apples and oysters with calves brain, horseradish, and watercress was just weird enough to work, the calves brain mimicking foie gras with added gaminess. I never thought of apples and oysters together, and I could have done without them on the first bite, but by the end of the meal, I got it. It was adventurous surf n’ turf, and I liked it a lot. We each got the chicken, which was just as good as before. This included mushrooms, rosemary, brussel sprouts, and picked autumn berries. The dish was perfection. Finally, I had something to wipe my whiskey bread through at the end of the meal. Our dessert was peanut and chocolate with cranberry gelee and brittle. Fancy peanut butter and jelly is exactly what came to mind—it was fantastic.

So, the food was undoubtedly great, but how about the service? This was my biggest gripe the last time I ate at Gwynnett St. This too, was a major improvement. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the menu and relaxed in his approach. He coined the oysters and apples as surf n’ turf and brought up the fancy peanut butter and jelly, so I need to give him credit for that—he joked to keep things light, but didn’t dwell around the table. He came when he needed to, explained the dishes, and then disappeared to his next table. He embodied everything a waiter or waitress should be.

Gwynette St. didn’t surprise me, because I knew the greatness was there. They’re a diamond in the rough and have won me over. From now on, I’ll always wonder why my chicken doesn’t have hay ash rubbed across the skin. Gwynette St. has a new fan. 

- Adam from Tipped Mixology

No comments:

Post a Comment