December 4, 2013

The Thanksgiving Transition

The Thanksgiving Transition

A recap, and the transition from Thanksgivng to the Christmas season


First of all, I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving! It's easily my favorite holiday--any holiday with food as a major theme wins through in my book. Black Friday is behind us, and I hope no one got trampled, Small Business Saturday came and went, Cyber Monday gave us all a reason to slack off at work, and what-the-hell-do-I-do-now Tuesday left us all thinking where do we go from here? Yeah, there are no more catchy-named days between now and Christmas, but that doesn't mean you can't fill the holiday void. Here's a Tipped recap starting with a very Thanksgiving Chirstmas carol rewind:

(everyone sing it now...) On the twelfth day of Thanksgiving my true love gave to me...

12 red wine bottles


11 fresh hors d'oeuvres

10 hours of brining (the turkeys that is, not my liver)


9 ladies drinking (we had a lot of guests!)

8 pounds of dark meat


7 sauces simmering 

6 hours of prepping 

5 GOLDEN PIES (courtesy of Baked in Red Hook)


4 pounds of stuffing 

3 dozen farm-fresh eggs (from French hens, of course)

2 bacon covered turkeys 


And a happy Thanksgiving family!


Okay, so maybe a little exaggeration and a hell of a lot of artistic license. Also, we went through far more than twelve bottles of wine, but you get the idea. Thanksgiving is so iconic that of course it leaves a virtual hangover for weeks to come. The best way I got through it was to keep cooking! Chili dogs for Sunday's tailgate was a great way to bring myself back to earth:


I'll try to get a recipe sometime soon. Even more cooking came from a stock of brussel sprouts my sister and her boyfriend grew in Massachusetts:


The best way to cook brussel sprouts is to halve them, and roast them with olive oil, sliced garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper. 350 for 25 minutes should do the job.


And of course, get some sleep in, relax, try to recover from the long weekend, rinse, and repeat until we get to the Christmas holiday season. And don't forget the yard work!


-Adam from Tipped Mixology

No comments:

Post a Comment