April 8, 2013

Restaurant Review: Custom American Wine Bar

Photo by Stefan M. via Yelp

Custom American Wine Bar

I have to say, the evening was looking like it would take a much different path when it started: 



The plan was to take my puppy out and put him to bed for the night, head on over to St. Anslem in Williamsburg to put our names down, and go grab a drink at the local wine bar, Custom American Wine Bar. It was a pretty straight-forward plan as I already knew the wait for St. Anslem would be around an hour even on a Wednesday night. My girlfriend and I walked around the corner to Custom and started talking over our wine. After around 30 minutes we were finished nursing our wines and polished off our second basket of cayenne popcorn when I decided to check into the Buzz Table app for how long our wait would be. We we’re completely dumbfounded by the app—two out of the four light bulbs were lit up, the fourth one signifying our table was ready. Was each light bulb a fraction of the time we were originally told our wait would be, in which case we still had 30 minutes to go? Or was each light bulb the number of tables ahead of us on the list? Either way, the menu at Custom was staring me right in the face and looking better and better with each passing minute. Our evening took an unexpected turn and we decided to eat right where we sat.

Now, I need to say before I continue that we by no means were settling for a meal at Custom; the meal we had was great on all levels, we just weren't expecting to be eating there. After telling the bartender that we were waiting for St. Anslem, but were interested in the food here I had to waffle my way into convincing him that the food at his place wasn't just a second option for us. Granted, I didn't really need to do this, but I felt obligated because the food at Custom really did look good and absolutely would have hit the spot at that moment, not to mention save us about a c-note.

The place itself, located on the busy corner of Metropolitan and Driggs, is warm, open, and has a good vibe. Big windows overlook the street, and I believe they are opened during the warmer months. The bar is mostly found wood, which gives for a great vibe and some really interesting contrasting wood. The place is small, maybe seating around 30-40 people, but we didn't feel like we were squashed even though it was mostly full at the time. The music was entertaining and appropriate for a casual Wednesday night, and the bar was playing movies on a single flat screen TV in the corner. The noise level was just so we could have a conversation at the bar without raising our voices or feeling like everyone around was listening in. Custom was staffed by two people—the bartender and the chef, both of whom played the role of waiter. The bartender had a great personality and was very attentive and knowledgeable.

The wine at Custom was very reasonably priced and spanned the western United States—I was drinking a Pinot Noir from Oregon and my girlfriend was drinking a spicy Californian Cabernet Sauvignon; I later switched to that. The great thing about Custom is if you aren't in the mood for wine, you also have your choice of great craft beers and whiskeys. The list is small, maybe around eight of each, but diverse enough to satisfy everyone’s palate. This is a great option to have in my mind as one of the things that could be so off putting about a wine bar is the lack of options. Not everyone’s tastes will be satisfied here, but they hit the main three in my opinion.

The food had a pubby feel to it while still offering great flavor combinations and originality. We started with an assortment of local pickles from Donovan’s Cellar which were absolutely amazing. Custom is one of the few places that offers these pickles. Do yourself a favor and grab them immediately! The ginger spiced beets were a revelation.

We moved on to our entrees which kept with the pubby feel offering either sliders or hot dogs. I got two sliders, one pork belly slider with sautéed onion and one shrimp po’ boy with Creole mustard aioli. My girlfriend got the hotdog with Donovan’s maple relish. We both shared a plate of fries with the truffle aioli. Just a note on truffle aioli... I know it’s cliché, but it felt good at the time. The winner in it all was the shrimp po’ boy. The Creole mustard added the perfect spice to work with the fried shrimp. The maple relish on the hot dog was also amazing.

Feeling satisfied, we moved on to dessert—a simple hot brownie topped with powdered sugar. We paired this with a finger of Widow Jane Bourbon, which blew my mind. I thought I knew my bourbon, but now I’ll be searching liquor stores all over Brooklyn trying to find this one. If I get into reviewing local brands, this will be the first. The brownie hit the spot, and the whiskey left us both now completely satisfied and felling a nice warm spot in our stomachs.

The bill at the end of the night was under 100 dollars for the two of us including tip. For what we got and how we felt afterwards, this was a bargain. The walk back to my apartment was filled with chuckling and smiling. We took my puppy out for a long walk around the neighborhood in the cool late winter night before retiring to a restful sleep, the thought of pickled beets fresh in our heads.

-Adam at Tipped Mixology

No comments:

Post a Comment