July 18, 2013

A Word on Figs

A Word on Figs

The quest to become a figgin' genius


As I may have alluded to in previous posts, I have outdoor space now. Along with a nice patio and large patches of dirt, I am the proud owner of five gigantic fig trees... needless to say, I'm up to my eyes in figs. This will lead to my endless supply of fig preserves, pickled figs, dehydrated figs, fig syrup, fig jam, bacon wrapped figs, sticky figgy pudding, broiled figs, baked figs, poached figs, fig newtons, balsamic fig vinegar, fig mustard, and just fresh figs. It was such a shame that when I tasted my first ripe, but raw fig, I didn't quite care for it. I think this is because of the varietal of fig that I'm dealing with here--pretty sure it's a Brown Turkey fig, which is a little less sweet and more grassy than other figs. Actually, I can't be sure at all what varietal of fig I have behind my apartment, because there are almost 1000 different fig varietals. I'm now in the process of joining up on fig forums (yes, there are forums for everything on the internet) to ask a fig expert for help in identifying my sweet jewels. 

I hope my readers like figs, because I can only assume I'll be posting many-a-fig recipe on the blog once I get a chance to test them. I will become on with my figs and learn to love them like they are my own. I'll be my own fig expert, fig genius, fig freak. Stay tuned for more fig-themed fun!

-Adam from Tipped Mixology

No comments:

Post a Comment