November 11, 2013

Update: Sous-Vide Brisket

Update: Sous-Vide Brisket

Photo Via TastyMemoir

Check out my previous post on sous-vide brisket here.


As far as the update goes, I made another brisket a few weekends ago. I kept the recipe exactly the same but changed a few important things:

  1. Add a stick of butter to every 2 pound serving of brisket. Put the butter right in your Ziploc bag with your bacon--the extra fat is completely necessary. 
  2. Lower the cooking temperature to 141 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 48 hours. I cooked mine for 36, and it needed a little more time. Still brine as before, but this time you'll get a much more tender and gelatinous piece of meat. 
I didn't take any pictures, but look up any generic BBQ picture from Google and you'll see what I saw. What is so remakable to me is how I completely ignored Thomas Keller's method for cooking brisket sous-vide... he cooks at 145 Fahrenheit for 48 hours. From now on, I'll just default to anything he's already done and save myself the trouble. Keller is king. Let it be known, this is the be-all end-all recipe for sous-vide brisket... now let us never speak of this again.

- Adam from Tipped Mixology 

No comments:

Post a Comment